Develop a simple mechanism! What kind of movement can you create with only ONE 180-degree servo motor?
- make a little robot that crawls around.
- think about what you can open, shake, throw, swipe, hit, play or scratch with a servo. Collect simple crafting materials and create that movement!
- Try out a mechanism from the video above!
Keep it simple: it doesn't have to be a unique idea! Give yourself a time limit of 15-20 minutes!
Different materials for attaching stuff to the servo motor
Example: A small toy hack
The mechanism can be very, very simple and it should not take long to make! Here's a little example of what's possible to make in 15-20 minutes.
1. A piece of insulation foam / styrofoam is great for fitting the servo inside a toy.
2. A cork extends the movement range. Use a piece of wood (popsicle, barbecue stick) instead if you like - hot glue keeps it nicely in place.
3. Fit everything inside a toy!
4. Fine-tune the Arduino program. LED lights have been added here for extra effect!
Workshop video by Niklas Roy and Kati Hyyppä is nice for inspiration (released under Youtube Creative Commons licence CC BY)
Mechanisms are a fascinating topic to explore further. For a practical, creative approach, check out the book Making Things Move by Dustyn Roberts. Many of the techniques introduced in the book can be applied to Arduino projects, as well!