Art Programming Basics
About the course
Art Programming Basics will get you started with programming visuals, animations and interactive user interfaces. On the course we use the free Processing-environment which is widely used by artists and educators all over the world. Processing is based on Java programming language. This module is absolutely beginner-friendly and requires no previous experience on programming or visual arts.
- Target group: 13-19-year-olds and educators
- Length: 4 chapters 1,5 hours each (= 6 hours). Material can be adjusted for longer teaching sessions as well.
- Format: Self-paced course module with video tutorials, student assignments and educator instructions.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
You'll learn the basics of programming in visual environment. We start by drawing common geometric shapes in coordinate-system. Then iteration comes in and you'll see concretely how to make shapes and objects move by looping programming commands. Eventually you will learn how to make visual objects obey your will by pressing keyboard and mouse buttons while the program is running.
As a more general theme, you learn how to represent complex visual things with simple programming structures - iteration, if-statements and variables. The module gives you a new tool for self-expression and new kind of glasses to see the hidden logical structures of the visual world! After this Basics module you can move on to more advanced project-modules which can be adjusted to different themes, interests and curricular needs.
The lesson structure
- For the Educator (Special chapter for educators)
- Art with Shapes
- Moving stuff
- Interact with it
- Order in Chaos
For a pair of students you will need:
- A computer running Windows, Mac OS or Linux
- Keyboard and mouse
- Working Internet connection
For programming Processing you will need a free application Processing IDE which can be downloaded from the Processing-website
Educators and students are eligible to receive an official Mehackit badge certification upon the completion of this course.